Monday, March 9, 2009

A Practical way to organize important documents


I must confess that I have always been tardy in organizing my important personal stuff like Degree Certificates, Driving License and Passport etc.
As of result of this I have faced a lot of last minute panic looking for details like passport validity period and having to rummage around for a whole lot of stuff just to get some important details.

Here is what I started doing:
I started keeping a scanned copy of all my personal stuff like previous Job certificates, educational degrees, passport, Property Documents etc. 
I must also add that I never owned a scanner (flat bed) at home to do all this easily.I just used My digicam (and later my 3.2 Mpixel camera mobile) to take images of the Documents and then transferred them to my PC.I had to take special care while photographing the document that I there is adequate light falling on it and getting the angle right. 
Also, I previewed the document to confirm it was clearly visible (Distinctly Black & White).

For storing the images I found the .jpeg format quite adequate as it can maintain quality and does not take up a lot of storage space.

On the PC, I created a folder and named them appropriately (in a Hierarchial structure) and encrypted them (for security).  
Today if I need to check when is my passport/license going to expire soon, I don't have to rummage through documents at all. All i need to do is open documents on the P.C.
Further I can always take printouts if I need to submit a copy for an official purpose.

The above idea is just a very fundamental thing to do.
But then the question is: How many of us take the one-time effort of actually doing it?


No comments:

Post a Comment